MS Office 365 (Click-to-Run): Remove unused applications 2015-08-16Posted by claudio in Uncategorized.
Tags: Click-to-Run, MS Office 365, VirtualBox, vm, VMWare, Windows
If you install Microsoft Office trough click-to-run you’ll end with the full suite installed. You can no longer select what application you want to install. That’s kind of OK because you pay for the complete suit. Or at least the organisation (school, work, etc.) offering the subscription does. But maybe you are like me and you dislike installing applications you don’t use. Or even more like me: you’re a Linux user with a Windows VM you boot once in a while out of necessity. And unused applications in a VM residing on your disk is *really* annoying.
The Microsoft documentation to remove the unused applications (Access as a DB? Yeah, right…) wasn’t very straightforward so I post what worked for me after the needed trial-and-error routines. This is a small howto:
- Install the Office Deployment Toolkit (download). The installer asks for a installation location. I put it in
C:\Users\<me>\OfficeDeployTool(<me> is my username, change accordingly).
- Create a configuration.xml with the applications you want to delete. The file should reside in the directory you chose for the Office Deployment Tookit (e.g. C:\Users\<me>\OfficeDeployTool\configuration.xml) or you should refer to the file with its full path name. If you run the 64-bit Office version change
You can find the full list op AppIDs here. Add or remove ExcludeApps as desired. The content of the file in my case was like follows:
<Add SourcePath="C:\Users\<me>\OfficeDeployTool" OfficeClientEdition="32">
<Property Name="FORCEAPPSHUTDOWN" Value="TRUE" />
<Language ID="en-us" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Access" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Groove" />
<ExcludeApp ID="InfoPath" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />
<ExcludeApp ID="OneNote" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Outlook" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Project" />
<ExcludeApp ID="Publisher" />
<ExcludeApp ID="SharePointDesigner" />
<Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />
<!-- <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" /> -->
- Download the office components. Type in a cmd box:
C:\Users\<me>\OfficeDeployTool>setup.exe /download configuration.xml
- Remove the unwanted applications:
C:\Users\<me>\OfficeDeployTool>setup.exe /configure configuration.xml
- Delete (if you want) the Office Deployment Toolkit directory (that includes the downloaded office components)
Enjoy the space (if you are using a VM don’t forget to defragment and compact the Virtual Hard Disk to reclaim the space) and the faster updates.