Call For Speakers/volunteers: Perl devroom (2014 February, 1st), FOSDEM, Brussels, Belgium January 6, 2014Posted by claudio in Uncategorized.
Tags: call for speakers, dev-room, fosdem, fosdem 2014, Perl
1 comment so far
So what do we need to make this year a success and how can *you* be part of it?
- We need talk proposals for our dev-room (Saturday 1st February, 11-19h). We really do. This is *our* room, it’s not only a meeting place for our community, but also how we show ourselves to the free and open source world. Please send you proposals *as soon as possible*. We’re flexible about the format and time. If you can not make it, hassle your Perl contacts to send a proposal. It’s has been an interesting year in the Perl world, so why not make it know? SEND YOU PROPOSALS NOW! We don’t have a lot of time left (the FOSDEM people need to print the booklets), so don’t make me use blinking text! (I remember the tag).
- We need a video volunteer. This year the nice people at FOSDEM want to record all the talks. This is great for our outreach and breaking out of the dreaded echo chamber. What will the volunteer need to do? Make sure things get set up and recorded. Video material and specific instructions will be provided, so technical video knowledge is not needed. More info here: https://lists.fosdem.org/pipermail/video/2014-January/000078.html
- We need stand volunteers (so everyone can take enough breaks, visit talks and eat/drink). The Perl booth will be present on Saturday and Sunday 1st-2nd February). What need you need to do? Help to set it up / break it up and, most importantly, share your enthusiasm about Perl by talking to people. I know that this may sound scary, but it’s actually *really* a lot of fun. Give it a go. Also, you can always drop by and help out. Always welcome.
- We also appreciate promotional materials of your company or organisation for this event. Brochures, flyers, pens, buttons, stickers, little toy animals, etc, etc: it is welcome. The more interesting stuff is gone *very* quickly. Please let us know that you want to send us your promotional materials and we will let you know the address to send it to.
- And finally and rather obvious, visit our dev-room and stand: don’t be a stranger.
Please send your proposals and/or your volunteer timeslots to us:
Claudio Ramirez (El_Che, nxadm, email: padre.claudio at apt-get.be) and Wendy van Dijk (email: nl.pm at wendy.org).
Please get in touch and see you at FOSDEM!
PS: Forward/twitter/facebook/g+ this link as wide as possible:
Short link: http://wp.me/p69IC-j7
Perl@FOSDEM2013: we will be there January 28, 2013Posted by claudio in Uncategorized.
Tags: dev-room, fosdem, fosdem 2013, foss, Free Software, Perl
We did it. A dev-room was cancelled by an other programming language community at FOSDEM. So why not help out and fill the void? A full program for a Perl dev-room with a deadline of two days. The schedule will appear shortly on the FOSDEM website (Perl dev-room) once they refresh the data. When the schedule will be online you’ll discover how cool it is…
Thanks for everyone on the community making this possible!
Also, have a look at Wendy’s post about the dev-room.
Perl@FOSDEM2013: A very late Call for Papers January 25, 2013Posted by claudio in Uncategorized.
Tags: dev-room, fosdem, fosdem 2013, foss, Free Software, Perl
add a comment
Dear Perl Mongers and friend,
PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO YOUR PERL CONTACTS (excuses for the yelling )
We have to make this short and simple. Therefore most of this email is copied from last year’s Call for Speakers.
Perl Dev-room, Saturday 2 February 2013, 11-19h.
Perl booth, Saturday and Sunday 2-3 February 2013, 11-19h.
FOSDEM, Brussels, 2 & 3 February 2013 https://fosdem.org/2013/
Free University Brussels, Campus Solbosh: https://fosdem.org/2013/practical/transportation/
Why so late?
Because our dev-room request was denied at first. They gave it to another programming language community, so we ended with only a booth. Now, the other community had to cancel their participation. We are Perl, so we jumped in and we asked for this. We got it. Now we have to fill it.
So be quick and send in your presentation proposal.
Send proposal to who?
Both Claudio Ramirez (nxadm, email: padre.claudio at apt-get.be) and Wendy van Dijk (email: nl.pm at wendy.org).
Perl booth and dev-room information (most is from last year’s Call for papers):
The stand request is approved some time ago. The stand will be open throughout the weekend. The dev-room event will take place Saturday, February 2nd 2013 , between 11:00 and 19:00, in room AW.126. The room itself has 75 seats, WIFI and a VGA projector.
This environment, being a university classroom with raised seats, lends itself perfectly for talks. This is a wonderful opportunity to present your Perl project big and small or talk about subjects you care about. We are looking for a variety of subjects on all levels: starter and advanced, generic and specialized, core internals and CPAN. We have 8 hours time, so we have the flexibility of using different time formats: e.g. talks of 20 minutes, more classic talks of 40 minutes or longer (although we learned from experience that longer talks should be split into slices of 20 or 40 minutes).
Please don’t doubt to send a proposal (information about yourself, subject, short description and time needed). If you have several subjects you are enthusiastic to talk about please send alternative proposals. In the case more than one talk is not selected, your proposal will help us when putting the schedule together and even have backup talks in case someone cancels. Also mention your time constraints (if any).
Please send your talk proposal by e-mail to the address below as soon as you read this. You will receive an answer within 2 days. We will submit a definitive schedule on Sunday 2013-01-27 to the FOSDEM organizers.
Please forward / distribute this call as wide as possible (certainly to your local mongers).
Thank you. Hope to meet you all in Brussels.
NB1: This is a community event without sponsoring. We don’t have the means to pay for your trip and time. If you want to sponsor part of the event, please feel free to contact us.
NB2: We’ll also appreciate volunteers, booth and dev-room. Please tell us your availabilities so we can also prepare a planning for this.
Perl devroom @ FOSDEM2012 February 3, 2012Posted by claudio in Uncategorized.
Tags: dev-room, fosdem, FOSDEM2012, Perl
add a comment
Just a short reminder of the Perl talks at FOSDEM2012.
The Perl dev-room will be held this Sunday February 5th, from 9 to 17h on room AW1.121. We have a wide range of talks. Some talks target Perl programmers with subjects ranging from a beginner to an advanced level. Other talks don’t focus on the language itself, but rather on projects that use Perl as a building stone.
So please, drop by if you are at FOSDEM…
|Welcome to the Perl devroom||Claudio Ramirez||AW1.121||09:00-09:05|
|Moose Primer||Nicholas Perez||AW1.121||09:05-09:25|
|Advanced Moose Techniques||Nicholas Perez||AW1.121||09:35-09:55|
|Perlude: a taste of Haskell in Perl||Marc Chantreux||AW1.121||10:05-10:45|
|The LemonLDAP::NG Project||Clément Oudot||AW1.121||11:55-12:15|
|LedgerSMB: Open source accounting running on Perl||Erik Huelsmann||AW1.121||12:25-12:45|
|Modern PerlCommerce||Stefan Hornburg||AW1.121||13:25-14:05|
|Rapid real-world testing using git-deploy||Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason||AW1.121||14:15-14:35|
|The FusionInventory Project||Guillaume Rousse||AW1.121||15:50-16:10|
|Using Moose objects with Memcached||Marius Olsthoorn||AW1.121||16:20-16:40|