Tags: Click-to-Run, MS Office 365, VirtualBox, vm, VMWare, Windows
– update for MS Office 2016.
– fix configuration.xml view on WordPress.
If you install Microsoft Office trough click-to-run you’ll end with the full suite installed. You can no longer select what application you want to install. That’s kind of OK because you pay for the complete suit. Or at least the organisation (school, work, etc.) offering the subscription does. But maybe you are like me and you dislike installing applications you don’t use. Or even more like me: you’re a Linux user with a Windows VM you boot once in a while out of necessity. And unused applications in a VM residing on your disk is *really* annoying.
The Microsoft documentation to remove the unused applications (Access as a DB? Yeah, right…) wasn’t very straightforward so I post what worked for me after the needed trial-and-error routines. This is a small howto:
- Install the Office Deployment Toolkit (download for MS Office 2013, 2016). The installer asks for a installation location. I put it in
C:\Users\nxadm\OfficeDeployTool(change the username accordingly). If you’re short on space (or in a VM), you can put it in a mounted shared.
- Create a configuration.xml with the applications you want to add. The file should reside in the directory you chose for the Office Deployment Tookit (e.g. C:\Users\nxadm\OfficeDeployTool\configuration.xml) or you should refer to the file with its full path name. You can find the full list op AppIDs here (more info about other settings)/ Add or remove ExcludeApps as desired. My configuration file is as follows (wordpress removes the xml code below, hence the image):
- If you run the 64-bit Office version change
- Download the office components. Type in a cmd box:
C:\Users\\OfficeDeployTool>setup.exe /download configuration.xml
- Remove the unwanted applications:
C:\Users\\OfficeDeployTool>setup.exe /configure configuration.xml
- Delete (if you want) the Office Deployment Toolkit directory. Certainly the cached installation files in the “Office” directory take a lot of space.
Enjoy the space and faster updates. If you are using a VM don’t forget to defragment and compact the Virtual Hard Disk to reclaim the space.